Location: Remote / NYC
Integrate Autism Employment Advisors is recruiting autistic college students and autistic college graduates for a paid internship with a foundation in NYC.
Position: 3D Model Proofreader Intern
Term of internship: 3 months, starting in May
Hours: 18 hours/week); Paid
Location: Remote with in-person training opportunities in Manhattan office
Application Deadline: Tuesday, April 20 (priority deadline) / Monday, April 26 (final deadline)
Early responders will get preferential consideration.
Our client is a private foundation established in 1994 in New York City with an annual grants and programs budget of $300 million. The foundation’s mission is to advance the frontiers of research in mathematics and the basic sciences.
The foundation pursues its mission through its grant-making division, comprising programs in Mathematics & Physical Sciences, Life Sciences, Education & Outreach and autism research, and through its internal research division.
The Neural Circuits and Algorithms group is looking for an intern to contribute to the mini-wasp connectomics project. The goal of this project is to extract an atlas of neurons and networks that make up the nervous system of a microscopic wasp. The intern will work with a team of proofreaders to reconstruct 3D models of neurons and their synaptic connections.
For the first six to eight weeks, the intern will undergo training on tasks that support our neural reconstruction pipeline. Most of these tasks involve proofreading (performing corrections on) cell segmentation generated by our machine learning tools. Through this training period, the intern will learn best practices and techniques to navigate a large imaging dataset, mitigate and spot reconstruction errors, and deliver feedback on reconstructions performed by other proofreaders.
As the intern develops a solid understanding of our reconstruction pipeline, they will also learn how to categorize neurons based on their morphology or synaptic connectivity and draw connections between their observations and larger experimental questions. Interns will attend weekly team meetings.
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to visualize, manipulate, and compare complicated 3D shapes
- Ease in working with computers and new software, e.g. using shared folders on Dropbox, editing spreadsheets, following a set of instructions to install software.
- Reliable internet access is necessary. A laptop and software will be provided.
Other Desirable Experience, but not required
- Experience using the command line or Python
- An academic background in neuroscience or cell biology
- A background or experiences modelling or working with 3D shapes, e.g. CAD, video game design, or sculpture.
Please follow all instructions carefully, as it is an important criterion to indicate work readiness.
- The priority deadline to apply is Tuesday, April 20. The final deadline is Monday, April 26. Please note that there is a 2-step process to submit a completed application.
- Step 1: Candidates should submit their resume to the 3D Model Proofreader Intern posting on Integrate’s website: https://www.integrateadvisors.org/recruitment
- Step 2: Candidates will then receive an email with an application form. Please submit the application form and requested materials by the specified deadline in the email.
- Candidates who apply by the priority deadline will be given first consideration.
Many of the greatest ideas and discoveries come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and our client is committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment. The Foundation actively seeks a diverse applicant pool and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply. They provide equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status, or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.
Integrate works with employers to help them identify, recruit and retain qualified professionals on the autism spectrum for their specific hiring needs. Our goal is to increase inclusive competitive employment for autistic individuals. Questions? Email email@example.com.